
Top 100 (#6/10); Thrills (#43); Stars - Judy Garland (#8); Cheers (#26); Quotes - "...We're not in Kansas anymore" (#4), "There's no place like home" (#23), "I'll get you, my pretty..." (#99); Songs - Over the Rainbow (#1), Ding Dong the Witch is Dead (#82); Villains - The Wicked Witch of the West (#4); Top Ten - Fantasy (#1); Musicals (#3)
This really is a good movie, one that deserves to be called a classic. And I think it was brilliant to do the Kansas scenes in black and white and the Oz scenes in color. Sure, we're all used to it. But imagine watching it in 1939 - color was a new thing. People went in and started watching a black and white movie and all of a sudden Dorothy steps out of her house into a magical colorful world. Wow!
Judy Garland has never been one of my favorites, and she's definitely too old for the part. I don't think it would have stood the test of time had Shirley Temple been Dorothy, though. People would still watch it, but it would be cutesy, not classic. Margaret Hamilton was wonderful as the witch. My favorite, though, is Ray Bolger. I love him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKK8mAkiUI
3 comments:
that's such a pretty picture of judy garland.
i agree with the b&w/color thing.
mostly when i think of this movie, though, good as it is, i think of flying monkeys, which are scary.
they are scary. so are the apple throwing trees.
and yes, it's a pretty picture.
Post a Comment