
Thrills (#79); Score (#8)
A tough guy and his henchmen storm into a small farming village, demanding food and money. The villagers have nothing to give him, especially as nothing has been harvested yet. The bandit warns them that he'll be back when the harvest is in, and they had better be ready to pay him.
The villagers are at a loss - they aren't strong enough to fight. They could hide the food, but he'd be sure to find out. So they send for help. And along come the magnificent seven to save the day.
Sound familiar? I know! That's why I totally loved this movie (once I figured it out - because I didn't think I would at first). And listen to the Coplandesque theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45KAjt7v4t4
And now listen to this (skip ahead to about 1:45):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrW_TTxP1ow&feature=related Coincidence? I think not.
Ok, as for the actual Magnicent Seven movie itself, I liked it. I liked Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen, and I absolutely loved this Charles Bronson quote, as he's berating three young boys who think he is much braver than their fathers:
Don't you ever say that again about your fathers, because they are not cowards. You think I am brave because I carry a gun; well, your fathers are much braver because they carry responsibility, for you, your brothers, your sisters, and your mothers. And this responsibility is like a big rock that weighs a ton. It bends and it twists them until finally it buries them under the ground. And there's nobody says they have to do this. They do it because they love you, and because they want to. I have never had this kind of courage. Running a farm, working like a mule every day with no guarantee anything will ever come of it. This is bravery. That's why I never even started anything like that... that's why I never will.
It may be a boy movie, but it's definitely worth seeing. It's now my favorite western. Or maybe second favorite, because I still love Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
7 comments:
and mel, i hope you read this review, because i think you should
and mel, i bet if broller ever made a movie about you, that's what he'd call it.
aww...
and yay bug's life! :)
and didn't you already use that quote?
i used it on my other blog. and fb. because i like it.
i see that
i told don "they totally ripped this off from bug's life!"
he insisted that magnificent seven came first, therefore it was bug's life that did the ripping off.
...boys...
Post a Comment