Friday, September 30, 2011

Top Gun



Quotes - "I feel the need..." (#94)
I'm surprised this movie didn't make it on to the Thrills list, because that's what it does best. The love story isn't that great (although who doesn't love You've Lost That Loving Feeling?), but the action sequences with the fighter jets are amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTbASqoqH3Q
The headline stars aren't what makes this movie. Tom Cruise plays himself yet again, and Kelly McGillis is just kind of there. This time it's the supporting actors who really shine. Tom Skeritt is great (as always). Anthony Edwards lends the perfect touch of humor. Val Kilmer - well, Val Kilmer has the volleyball scene. And a little known actress named Meg Ryan completely steals the show. When I saw this back when it was first released, I recognized that her five minutes or so onscreen were the best in the entire movie.
Exciting, funny, and sad, with a soundtrack to match (except Take My Breath Away - one of the slowest, most boring songs ever written), Top Gun is a great movie. Especially when seen in a movie theater.

4 comments:

melilotnfosco said...

i remember just thinking 'okay. i'm american now. i've seen it.'

hobbitsister said...

that's because you didn't see it on the big screen

hobbitsister said...

and btw, you're not american yet. you haven't seen raiders of the lost ark.

melilotnfosco said...

that's true