Thursday, September 29, 2011

Dog Day Afternoon



Thrills (#70); Quotes - "Attica! Attica!" (#86)

This movie about a bank robbery gone wrong kept my interest because it kept the action going until the very end. I couldn't really guess what the resolution would be. There were things I didn't like about it though. For one thing, I just couldn't figure out why the cops didn't rush in there and end it all. I know they had their reasons, but it sure seemed like Pacino gave them plenty of opportunities. Worse, though, was the crowd's attitude towards the police. I know it was part of that whole '70s counterculture thing, but there was absolutely no respect for authority.

Another thought while watching this was Al Pacino's language. For crying out loud - does he only know one word? If this movie had been made ten years earlier, he wouldn't have said it at all. The reason for the change? The rating system. It used to be that nudity and swearing were never in movies and violence was largely off-screen. The rating system opened it all up. And the quality of films rapidly went downhill.

2 comments:

melilotnfosco said...

kind of like tv

hobbitsister said...

that's why i didn't want them to start rating tv shows, or music for that matter