Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giant



Top 100 (#82); Stars - Elizabeth Taylor (#7), James Dean (#18)

Netflix calls Giant a "sprawling epic", and sprawling is right. It sprawls over 3 hours. There's not much to the story - 25 years in the life of a cattleman and his wife living in Texas. Oh, and there's an oilman, too. Yep, that's it. Oh, and there was a nice little lesson about racism. And that's the movie.

I'm thinking James Dean must be really hot in East of Eden (which I haven't seen), because he's anything but in this movie - he's a nasty, greasy drunk. And in Rebel Without a Cause I thought he was effeminate and whiny. So I'm figuring his appeal had to come from his other movie.

Rock Hudson, though - ooh, baby. It's just so sad that he played for the other team because honey, he was easy on the eyes!

I reviewed this movie today because of a delightful scene regarding Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor's children on Thanksgiving Day. But alas, youtube doesn't have a clip. So instead you get this clip, which isn't actually from the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qmj2fXPvXc

2 comments:

melilotnfosco said...

i'm sure that's close.
i don't know if i've ever actually seen rock hudson in anything. he was handsome, though.

hobbitsister said...

this was the first movie i've seen him in