Sunday, November 20, 2011

Ball of Fire



Laughs (#92); Stars - Gary Cooper (#11), Barbara Stanwyck (#11)

Sergeant York, Pride of the Yankees, High Noon...this AFI movie project has revealed to me a very important thing - I absolutely adore Gary Cooper. Gable is king, Grant is suave, Peck is sophisticated, Stewart will always be my favorite, but I adore Cooper.

I love this movie, too. Gary Cooper is a stuffy grammarian living with seven other male professors while they work on an encyclopedia. Stanwyck is a nightclub singer hiding out from the police. She comes to the home of the professors under the guise of teaching Cooper modern slang. And of course the rest is predictable.

It has traces of Snow White (actually more like Sydney White), and in fact I'd been thinking that for about an hour when they actually referenced it in the movie. The sheltered professors are charming and delightful. So is the movie. I highly recommend it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmjnJhotUqw&feature=related

5 comments:

melilotnfosco said...

i like this movie.
and i like the books. :)

melilotnfosco said...

and i like how he tries to correct her grammar while she hussies him

hobbitsister said...

when did you see this movie? cuz i'd never even heard of it.
and what books? is it based on a book?

melilotnfosco said...

a long time ago. and i coulda sworn i told you about it.
and no, sadly not. i mean the books she was standing on.

hobbitsister said...

oh...those books :)