Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Raisin in the Sun


Stars - Sidney Poitier (#22); Cheers (#65)
Excellent movie. I'm not sure if it was based on Langston Hughes' poem Dream Deferred ("What happens to a dream deferred?/Does it dry up like a raisin in the sun...), but it certainly has the same theme.
A family receives a $10,000 life insurance check, and they all dream of what they can do with the money.
One thing I noticed was the whole "love and respect" idea. Walter's dreams were dying because none of the women in the house would listen to him. His wife didn't encourage him and nobody gave him the respect he should have had as man of the house. His role was usurped by his mama, the matriarch of the family. On the other hand, his wife, Ruth, wasn't feeling like Walter loved her. She felt completely alone in their marriage.
Anyways, great movie. And I love Sidney Poitier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JUUWLLN03s

1 comment:

melilotnfosco said...

i've only seen the p.diddy version, and i really don't remember it