Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Big Chill

Stars - Jeff Goldblum (Current); Songs - Ain't Too Proud to Beg (#94)

This is a movie about college friends who reunite 15 years later for the funeral of one of their own.  My thoughts and random statements:
1) I love Kevin Kline, and I have ever since BoofAunt and I saw Pirates of Penzance oh so many years ago.  And I loved him in this movie.  Well, most of this movie.
2) I'm not really sure what Meg Tilly was doing there.  She was the dead guy's girlfriend, much younger than the others and therefore not part of the college gang.  I don't know why she was spending the weekend with them, and her role seemed competely pointless.
3) These are talented actors (most of them).  So where are they now?
4) Tom Berenger's mustache was a horrible idea.  His character was a Tom Selleck-type TV actor, so I'm guessing that explains the 'stache.  But it still was a horrible idea.
5) This is the most famous movie Kevin Costner was not in.  He played the dead guy (in flashback scenes), but all of his scenes ended up on the cutting room floor.  And now you know.
6) I love my college peeps.  I loved that we were such a big part of each other's lives, and that even now we can pick up conversations right where we left off, even when we go for several years without seeing each other.  I also love that we didn't do drugs or all sleep with each other.
7) I like Ain't Too Proud to Beg.  This movie had a great '60s soundtrack.  But why, oh why, must the music always be about 1000 decibels louder than the dialogue?
8) I really, really, really could have done without that ending.

No comments: