
Top 100 (#10/5); Laughs (#16); Stars - Gene Kelly (#15); Songs - Singing in the Rain (#3), Make 'Em Laugh (#49), Good Morning (#72); Passions (#16); Musicals (#1)
When I watch this movie, I'm happy again. Debbie Reynolds is cute and sweet, Donald O'Connor is the perfect comic sidekick, and Gene Kelly - he's so fine (doo lang doo lang doo lang). And Jean Hagen, I loved her, too. Except for the ballet sequence in the middle, everything about this movie works.
The songs are sing-alongable, which every musical's songs should be. Make 'Em Laugh and Moses Supposes are delightful, You Were Meant for Me is romantic (although every time I hear it I think of Gene Kelly singing it with Miss Piggy on The Muppet Show - "I was meant for vou, Gene!").
And then there's Singing in the Rain. The great Gene Kelly at his absolute best. Gene Kelly never danced - he glided. He moved with such ease and grace and sophistication that it appeared absolutely effortless. Watch him with Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds, or Cyd Charisse. They were good, no doubt about it. But you can tell they're dancing. With Kelly, he's simply moving, just like breathing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1ZYhVpdXbQ
I like this version, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXtd7xq7URM
What a glorious feeling!
2 comments:
wasn't the song 'singing in the rain'?
i think you're right. i'll fix it.
Post a Comment