Monday, August 15, 2011

Gone With The Wind



Top 100 (#4/6); Score (#2); Stars - Clark Gable (#7), Vivien Leigh (#16); Cheers (#43); Quotes - Frankly, my dear... (#1), ...Tomorrow is another day (#31), As God is my witness... (#59); Passions (#2); Top Ten Epics (#4)
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing this is one of the most, if not the most, decorated movie on the lists, and rightly so. If it were up to me, I would have listed it as #1. This is the epic to which all other epics are compared. Gone With the Wind defines "classic".

Clark Gable is perfect as Rhett, and I have to admit I'm glad the studio strong-armed him into playing the part. Nobody else could have done the role justice. My one complaint is that the other actors are all too old, although Vivien Leigh really does well capturing Scarlett's stubbornness, cunning, and spite.

A beautifully made, well written movie. Definitely a must-see!

This may be a spoiler, but seriously, if you haven't seen this movie or at least this scene at some point in the past 72 years, that's your misfortune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2RxWs60dRM

2 comments:

melilotnfosco said...

leslie howard as ashley is definitely the worst casting in the movie. and you forgot to mention how great hattie mcdaniel was.
clark gable was (and still is) the only possible rhett. and you don't have to 'admit' to being glad the studio strong-armed him. whatever it takes.

Hobbitsister said...

Yes, Hattie McDaniel was perfect as well.