Passions (#98)
Not having read the book, I can't tell you how much this differs. But I still think it's an odd choice for a Disney movie.
Nevertheless, this version was good. Charles Laughton, whom I don't usually like, did an especially good job. Sir Cedric Hardwicke also was notable as Frollo. He reminded me of Alan Rickman, and I kept thinking how wonderful Rickman would be in that role. Maybe they should remake it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEEpavnk7Uw

6 comments:
gotta love the dime store novel poster
that is a great poster. and i like that song very much. and it was a ridiculous choice for a disney movie. some people are in for an awful shock if they ever actually read the book.
and when i read it i was picturing willem dafoe as frollo. and i do love the book, what with it being victor hugo and all.
and perhaps i should see this version
perhaps. i didn't love it, but i liked it.
as i was watching it, i couldn't help thinking of how cruel the people were to quasimoto - how they considered him a freak, how it amused them to see him suffer, etc - and i thought how glad i am that we aren't like that today. and then i thought of talk shows and reality tv, and i realized we haven't really come all that far. we mock other people's differences and love to think we're better than everybody else. it's really pretty sad.
sadly true
Post a Comment