Monday, December 31, 2012

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Laughs (#89)

Look up this movie and you'll find it repeated ad nauseum that writer Cameron Crowe went undercover at a high school to find out what teenagers were really like.  How Josie Grossie of him.  He was like 25 years old.  Did he really not know what teenagers are like?  And while I know I wasn't your typical high school student, it seemed to me that there was more to high school life than just drugs and sex.  Whatever.  I think John Hughes' movies were better.

Sean Penn created a highly (pun intended) memorable character.  His scenes with Ray Walston are the best in the movie.  Too bad Penn got all political, because I really think he's a talented actor.  Underrated actors Anthony Edwards and Eric Stoltz also put in appearances, as well as a then-rising star named Nick Coppola.

While I think Fast Times deserves its spot on the list of great teen films, it certainly isn't the best one out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlRvE9dKWQc

1 comment:

melilotnfosco said...

and from another great high school musical:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm2iTP1NaB4