Wherein I review the AFI Top 100 Movies (in all categories). Beware of Spoilers!
Friday, December 21, 2012
AFI 100 Years...100 Stars
We've completed our list of 100 Stars. Well, almost. Sophia Loren (#21), Mary Pickford (#24), and Ava Gardner (#25) were not in any of the movies on any of the lists, so none of their movies were reviewed here. All the others are.
What have I learned? I've discovered I adore Gary Cooper, prefer Buster Keaton to Charlie Chaplin, am afraid of Robert Mitchum, can't stand Judy Garland (ok, I knew that, but it was confirmed), think Barbara Stanwyck's bangs are ridiculous, and don't get Lauren Bacall's appeal. I think Audrey Hepburn is fine but overrated, and Marilyn Monroe's acting skills are overlooked because people think of her as a sex symbol. I really, really like Sidney Poitier, and I don't know why William Holden is on the list, because he shouldn't be in the company of greats like Gable, Grant, and Stewart.
I also think it bears repeating that I love Jimmy Stewart. Clark Gable is king. Cary Grant is suave, and Gene Kelly is so fine (doo lang, doo lang, doo lang).
And while the purpose of the second set of 50 was merely to introduce the original 50, and so they picked whomever was available, I think they should have made an effort to make it a real list. It's a shame that because they came later people like Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Jack Lemmon, and the like weren't recognized.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
personally i think holden should be replaced with charlton heston
i've never seen anything with william holden, but he's definitely not known today the way charlton heston is (he hasn't stood the test of time like heston), and i do agree that heston should be on the list, so i'll agree with you.
other thoughts
1) i paused the video on gene kelly because i simply had to doo-lang doo-lang doo-lang
2) shouldn't you have to watch movies with those 3 ladies even if they're not in movies on other lists?
3) i concur
4) i agree with all your assessments
5) sidney poitier is distinguished, in case you needed the right word for him
oh, sorry, my concurring was with the fact that the other 50 should've been done right
2) i wondered about that. maybe i should.
5) yes, he definitely is. but i still really, really like him. i would love him (and i do), but i love jimmy stewart.
Post a Comment