Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Star is Born (1954)

Stars - Judy Garland (#8); Songs - The Man That Got Away (#11); Passions (#43); Musicals (#7)

Chorus girl Garland attracts the attention of big screen star (and drunk) Mason.  He makes her a star, and eventually they marry.  But her star rises as his fades and he doesn't deal with it very well.

It could have been an okay story, but Judy Garland can't act worth anything.  And since she knew he was a drunk when she married him, I didn't feel all that sorry for her.  And how does a song make #11 when I've never even heard of it?

Overall, I'd say you can skip this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Ugqh471IE

3 comments:

melilotnfosco said...

i don't like judy garland

chelleybutton said...

Triple really likes Judy Garland. So that makes me want to defend her. :) I haven't seen this movie though, nor is it likely I will.

melilotnfosco said...

she's loud and in your face (judy, not triple) - i don't like that