Thursday, July 12, 2012

McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Top Ten - Western (#8)

First off, I just plain didn't like this movie about a gunslinger and a madam who join forces and open a brothel in late 1800s Pacific Northwest.  The characters were unappealing and Julie Christie's accent was painful. 

Secondly, I have now seen three Robert Altman movies (M*A*S*H and Nashville were the other two).  I don't like him.  He clutters his movies with people and sounds.  So many things going on at once, bouncing back and forth, crowding every frame.  And people talking about pointless things, like minor characters carrying on over whether or not one of them should grow a beard.  It's not funny, and completely irrelevant.  Yes, it's real life, but in a movie it just doesn't fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6UAYGxiRwU

2 comments:

melilotnfosco said...

how can it be in the top ten if i've never heard of it?

hobbitsister said...

i've wondered that, too. and westerns is such a big category that there have to be a lot that are better than this.