Monday, October 8, 2012

Sunset Boulevard

Top 100 (#12/16); Score (#16); Stars - Buster Keaton (#21), William Holden (#25); Quotes - "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up" (#7), "I am big!  It's the pictures that got small" (#24)

I wasn't expecting this to be film noir, but it worked.  I liked it because it was different - it's hard to peg.  Silent screen star Norma Desmond still believes, 30 years later, that she's wonderfully famous and doesn't want to face the fact that people have forgotten her.  She's living in the past, and once struggling screenwriter William Holden stumbles into her world, he finds he can't easily leave it.

Gloria Swanson was campy and overdramatic, but that's what the character called for.  I think Holden had the same clause in his contract that Matthew McConaughey must have - one that says he has to appear shirtless in every movie.  And I loved that Ms. Desmond's bridge club was made up of cameos by other silent film stars, including my favorite, Buster Keaton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKfBCitChcg

8 comments:

melilotnfosco said...

that's a scandalous clause for an actor back then, isn't it?

hobbitsister said...

one would think. but apparently william holden liked to take off his shirt.

melilotnfosco said...

i see

hobbitsister said...

incidentally, i think that must have been in faye dunaway's contract too

melilotnfosco said...

oh my

hobbitsister said...

yeah. i find it very annoying

melilotnfosco said...

oh, and back to sunset boulevard - glenn close was once norma desmond. she so looks like a silent movie star.

hobbitsister said...

indeed she does. was that the musical version?