Saturday, February 9, 2013

Show Boat

Stars - Ava Gardner (#25); Songs - Ol' Man River (#24); Musicals (#24)

I was actually supposed to watch the 1936 version of this movie, but I can't find it.  I ended up watching the 1951 version.  It worked out ok, because then I got to see an Ava Gardner movie, so it counts for that, too.

Well, what's there to say about it?  It started off with slaves smiling in the cotton field.  Somehow I don't think they actually smiled all that much.  And the Magnolia/Ravenal story wrapped up awfully quickly.  And we never did find out what happened to Julie.  And the Ravenal/Kim part at the end totally creeped me out.

But I liked "Ol' Man River" and "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkDU1ai5P1I

6 comments:

melilotnfosco said...

"Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man" is one of my most sung songs

melilotnfosco said...

i just saw it with ava gardner's own voice on youtube - i like hers better than the one they used

melilotnfosco said...

what happened to julie is that she went on with her hard life, but with the small consolation that magnolia was happy

melilotnfosco said...

why didn't you name one of your girls magnolia?

hobbitsister said...

because then the other one would be jealous

melilotnfosco said...

tuche'